Wedding couples are understandably concerned with having enough chairs, but few give much consideration to how those chairs will add to, or subtract from, the day’s décor and the guests’ enjoyment.
Rental Chairs are Not Created Equal
Many party and event rental companies provide chairs for weddings. Some have only a few style choices while others carry many options. Researching local rental companies and comparing style, quality and pricing is the path to perfect chairs.
Important considerations when choosing chairs include:
● ability to be covered
Comfort and style matter most. Some chairs, like those ubiquitous plastic white folding chairs, don’t always perform well in the style or comfort category. Plastic folding chairs are lightweight and easily transported, but they add no decorative benefit and are extremely uncomfortable for many people.
Rent Chairs for Everyone
People come in all sizes and shapes. For comfort, the rule of thumb is this: It’s always better to put a smaller person on a larger chair than to put a larger person on a smaller chair. For this reason, chairs like pizza/ice cream parlor chairs, with their small round, hard seats, are not conducive to an enjoyable experience for a significant portion of the population.
Larger people, the elderly and children may have difficulty with plastic folding chairs, for those chairs offer little back support and routinely give way in the back area of the seat. The rigid frame can also apply an uncomfortable pressure to the thighs of larger guests.
Chairs with arms provide extra comfort for some and are a nightmare for others. One solution is to have some chairs with arms and some without. If uniformity is an important concern, and only one style is chosen, the choice should be armless chairs.
The more cushioning the chair has, the more comfortable guests will be. Banquet style chairs often have plush seats and backs that sustain comfort for longer periods. It’s possible to add cushions to all chairs, but it will likely be an extra expense.
For safety’s sake consider the surface that will be supporting the chair.
● Carpeted floors require chairs that slide up to and away from tables with ease.
● Chairs with small feet may sink into grass, dirt or sand and result in less stability for guests.
● Cobblestones, flagstones and other uneven surfaces call for chairs with a wide base.
● Wooden decks need chairs that won’t get caught in slats.
● Inclines absolutely prohibit anything that folds.
Wedding Décor and Stylish Chairs
It’s easy to give the wedding décor a boost with the right chairs. Some examples would include:
● wicker or bamboo chairs for garden or beach weddings
● decoratively carved wooden chairs for western or southwestern weddings
● rustic, painted chairs for country weddings
● spindle back chairs (black, white, gold, burnished copper) for afternoon weddings
● formal, fine dining chairs for elegant, evening weddings
All chairs lend themselves to decoration or covering. Decorations can be simple and delicate or beautifully elaborate to accent the wedding theme or express the bride and groom’s personalities.
7 Chair Rental Questions
The following questions, asked of rental providers, can help insure a worry-free, pleasant experience for the wedding couple and their guests.
- What chair styles, in what colors, are available?
- How much does each style cost?
- Is there an additional set-up, dismantling or mileage charge?
- Are the chairs in excellent condition and is that condition guaranteed?
- Are extra chairs provided in case of an unforeseen circumstance?
- Are chairs rented to only one event on any given day?
- Are references available?
It’s wise to carefully study the rental contract. Replacement of damaged property can be expensive and the cost will vary from company to company.
Rental fees will vary by chair style. Some are as little as $1.00 per chair and others can be more than $20.00 per chair. There may be occasions when purchasing chairs from a discount outlet or acquiring them from a going-out-of-business store or hotel, is actually more cost effective than renting. Purchased chairs can later be donated to churches, group homes, nursing homes, schools or other facilities that would benefit from their use.
Renting the Perfect Wedding Day Chairs
From the look of the occasion to the comfort of the guests, chair choice matters. Collectively, the chairs at a wedding ceremony or reception outnumber everything except people.
What the chairs look like and how they feel can change the overall wedding experience. Caring enough to choose wisely will benefit everyone.